The final regional auditions for Season Three of South Africa’s toughest outdoor kitchen, Ultimate Braai Master, sponsored by Pick n Pay were hosted at The V & A Waterfront, The Lookout Venue last Saturday. Bush cook guru and host, Justin Bonello, Ultimate Braai Master Judge Bertus Basson and some of Cape Town’s fiercest chefs and foodies were tasked with judging what the hottest Western Cape braai teams plated up in the hope of securing a spot in what promises to be a 4×4 braai adventure of a lifetime.
Supported by Coca-Cola, Renault Duster, Robertsons Herbs and Spices and Total, the Western Cape Braai Masters pushed the envelope on dishes prepared on an open flame, from Ostrich Tail potjie to smoked Kudu Carpaccio with quail egg and anchovies, to red wine poached pears with a chocolate reduction and glazed walnuts.
Cape Town’s 16 semi-finalist teams selected to go through to the next round include:
- Team Delicious Foodies: friends from Somerset West, Western Cape, Braai Master Brigitte Leclercq and Braai Buddy Lappies Labuschagne.
- Team Bad Dog: good friends from Cape Town, Western Cape, Braai Master Michael Woolley and Braai Buddy David Savage.
- Team Tikka Boys: friends from Cape Town, Western Cape, Braai Master Mohamed Yusuf Sujee and Braai Buddy Garth Davids.
- Team West Coast Braaiers: best friends for life from Langebaan, the West Coast of South Africa, Braai Master John Grundlingh and Braai Buddy Julian Mori.
- Team Kaiser Chefs: friends from Somerset West, Western Cape, Braai Master Peter Ilgmann and Braai Buddy Roger de Coito.
- Team Beach Combers: a married couple from Langebaan, the West Coast of South Africa, Braai Master Jolene Butler and Braai Buddy Paul Butler.
- Team Spirit of Africa: a couple from Stellenbosch, Western Cape, Braai Master Murray Tonathy and Braai Buddy Elanda van Zyl.
- Team Santa Anna’s: friends from Stellenbosch, Western Cape, Braai Master Pieter JC Marais and Braai Buddy Frik Oosthuizen.
- Team Huiskombuis: best friends from Cape Town, Western Cape, Braai Master Kyle Hodgson and Braai Buddy Rudy Gibbons.
- Team Stellenbraai: friends from Stellenbosch, Western Cape, Braai Master Jaco Steenkamp and Braai Buddy Gerhard Swiegers.
- Team Swartland Braai Span: a father and son duo from Malmesbury, Western Cape, Braai Master Gabriel Hendrik Steyn and Braai Buddy Stephanus Jacobus Steyn.
- Team The Ama Chop Chop: friends from Cape Town, Western Cape, Braai Master Richard Knoetze and Braai Buddy Jacques Ellis.
- Team Braai Boere Braai: a father and daughter duo from Belville, Western Cape, Braai Master Lucretia Oosthuizen and Braai Buddy Raoul le Roux.
- Team Tenacity: a couple from Cape Town, Western Cape, Braai Master Lesley Verhoef and Braai Buddy Rod Hemphill.
- Team Padkos: friends from Durban, KwaZulu Natal, Braai Master Lenny (Leendert) de Bruin and Braai Buddy Ruan Oliver.
- Team Kalahari Fires: brothers from Cape Town, Western Cape, Braai Master Renier Lombard and Braai Buddy Jacques Lombard.
Host Justin Bonello, together with the Ultimate Braai Master Audition guest judges have shortlisted 50 of the country’s top braai teams from which this year’s 15 competing teams will be chosen to participate in Season Three’s Ultimate Braai Master: Time for Tough competition.
Contestants will join Justin, the Ultimate Braai Master Judges Bertus Basson and Petrus Madutlela in May to embark on a 70 day, 9000km braai-inspired road trip across the country and beyond to compete for the 2014 title, R500 000 cash and the new Renault Duster 4×4 valued at R260 000 and many more prizes.
South Africa’s top 15 teams will be announced on Monday 7 April with filming due to begin in Cape Town at the beginning of May. The Third Season will premiere on e.tv in prime time from Thursday 11 September to Thursday 4 December.
For more go to www.ultimatebraaimaster.com
Image source: Shutterstock